Friday 29 July 2011

Lily earrings

Still working outside of my comfort zone, I have been experimenting with polymer clay.  I’ve had a few blocks of it lurking in the bottom of my work box for years now.  I did recently attempt to make some millefiore beads but wasn’t very happy with the result.
Being able to sit and bead outside, in the garden, I seem to be making lots of flowers with my seed beads so I thought I would try a different medium.  I remember, from years ago , taking my class to a pottery in Stoke and them getting the opportunity to make clay flowers using proper techniques.  So I just copied what we had learnt then and produced a lily (my favourite flower) . 
The photo doesn’t really do it justice, but the clay is marbled blue and green.  I noticed the colours seemed to darken with baking  (can anyone explain this or how I can avoid it?) I made a larger lily intending to use it as a pendant – I’ve just been working out how to incorporate blue wire into the stamens but that’s a work in progress (to add to all the others!)
Hope you like.. 

No comments:

Post a Comment