Friday 22 July 2011

My first piece of chainmaille!

A friend said I should make a piece ‘outside of my comfort zone’ – (here it is, Doll!).
I followed a design by Sarah Austin from ‘The Bead Sisters’. I bought jump rings from their company in Stranraer who, it has to be said, have an enormous collection of jump rings in metal and rubber!

The weave is known as ‘The King’s scale’ or ‘Vertebrae Weave’.  It looks complicated but is surprisingly quick to make.  It is a variation on the most common form of chainmail; the "four-in-one" pattern in which each link has four others linked through it.  This is the way chainmaille was made in Europe in the Middle Ages.

I spent the morning at a local gallery getting inspiration for my next project: polymer clay, methinks.
Hope you like..

No comments:

Post a Comment